Requirements for membership
Prospective applicants for membership Cape Bar are required to fulfill the following requirements for membership of the Cape Bar:
- be admitted and enrolled as an advocate in accordance with the Admission of Advocates Act, 74 of 1964; and
- have satisfied the pupillage requirements of the Cape Bar (or any of the constituent Bars of the General Council of the Bar of South Africa), or exempted from the requirement to complete pupillage.
Applicants must also agree to be bound by the provisions of the Cape Bar’s Constitution.
The completed application form and declaration for membership (including all relevant annexures) must be received by our offices at least 10 (ten) days before a Bar Council meeting. The dates for the meetings are available here. However, please confirm the dates with our offices, as it may change without prior notice.
Types of membership:
- Full membership: members are required to keep chambers in Cape Town.
- Associate membership: members are required to keep chambers in George or Knysna, and must be members of the George Bar.
- Associate academic membership: members are exempt from keeping chambers given their academic commitments.
- Honorary membership: by application only.