Requirements for membership
Prospective applicants for membership Cape Bar are required to fulfill the following requirements for membership of the Cape Bar:
- be admitted and enrolled as an advocate in accordance with the Admission of Advocates Act, 74 of 1964; and
- have satisfied the pupillage requirements of the Cape Bar (or any of the constituent Bars of the General Council of the Bar of South Africa), or exempted from the requirement to complete pupillage.
Applicants must also agree to be bound by the provisions of the Cape Bar’s Constitution.
The Cape Bar’s membership application form, together with instructions to applicants, is available for download here.
Types of membership:
- Full membership: members are required to keep chambers in Cape Town.
- Associate membership: members are required to keep chambers in George or Knysna, and must be members of the George Bar.
- Associate academic membership: members are exempt from keeping chambers given their academic commitments.
- Honorary membership: by application only.