The Cape Bar is committed promoting access to justice in South Africa. Each member of the Cape Bar is required to perform no less than 20 hours of pro bono service (legal assistance without charging a fee) per year.
The Pro Bono Committee of the Cape Bar manages the allocation of counsel from the Cape Bar to act pro bono for deserving litigants.
Applying for pro bono assistance
- It is important to understand that the Bar is a referral profession.
- Accordingly, in order for the Committee to allocate Counsel to act pro bono, the client must already be represented by an attorney (usually also acting pro bono).
- Applications for pro bono assistance are made to the Cape Bar by the attorney acting for the litigant.
- Once application has been made, it will be considered by the Pro Bono Committee, and the attorney will be advised of the outcome.
- The pro bono application form is available for download here.
- All enquiries and/or applications for pro bono assistance should be directed to the Administrative Officer, who can be contacted here.
If you do not have an attorney, you can contact:
The Cape Law Society
The Legal Aid Board
- Telephone: 0800 110 110 or 021-426 4126